Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Video > Film Transfers. The cheap cheap way??

  1. #1
    Supa-eight
    Guest Supa-eight's Avatar

    Post

    Hey everyone, I have a rather piculiar question that perhaps someone out there could answer. From time to time I do shoot video (gasp!) and use it for several projects. I have also been watching a lot of newer underground films that have been shot on DV and transferred to film, and they look pretty close to 35mm originally. Now, please no one start an argument about film vs. video. My question is:

    Given the new LCD flatscreen displays for computers these days, whats the quality you think if you shot a short video, edited it etc, and then shoot the final product off of a flatscreen monitor using a Super 8 camera? From what I hear there would be no flicker. Do you think this could be the cheap new way to shoot video, and give it a film like look for projection? Now by no means am I arguing this is a reason not to shoot Super 8 initially. I am just asking if for reasons we feel to shoot on video, could this be the easy way to get our videos transferred to film?

    Thanks in advance!

    ------------------

  2. #2
    rollemfilm
    Guest rollemfilm's Avatar

    Post

    will there be sound? if so, you'll really consider using 16mm instead. the basic idea goes back to the early days of tv, before video tape was invented. kinascope (i hope i spelled that right)...this is why early tv shows have that strange look to it. they filmed the live shows, like the "honeymooners", off of tv monitors using special cameras like the auricon, to make film copies. the problem with super8 is not the filmming process (although there will be some i'm sure) but he addition of a sound track becomes problematic these days. at least with 16mm, you still have a way to marry the audio track to the finished picture. there are also labs that specialize in video to film transfer. otherwise, if it's just a home project, sure, why not. i'd be interested in the results.

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Supa-eight
    Guest Supa-eight's Avatar

    Post

    I guess yes and no to the sound, I didn't really it give that much thought. More or less I am interested in creating some animations on video and transferring them to film. Roger says basically if I do it a frame at a time it should work fine, but I could see issues if someone were to make a sync sound video and expect to sync it up again when going back to film.

    A little off subject, but I was looking at the CP 16 camera on the net and saw that it recorded sound directly onto 16mm film. Do they still make sound 16mm film? How did this work in the first place? That would be cool to shoot sync on 16mm directly into the camera. Just curious.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supa-eight:
    Roger says basically if I do it a frame at a time it should work fine, but I could see issues if someone were to make a sync sound video and expect to sync it up again when going back to film.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Well, there are ways around that problem. For starters, you could simply direct everyone on the set to pick up the pace by about 20%. Then, after editing, deinterlace and reduce the speed to 80%. Other than a slight loss of resolution, this will make your video look just like film transferred on the Rank, complete with the 3:2 pulldown where every fourth frame is doubled! The audio will require a slight pitch change but it will sound perfectly normal after correction.

    Then, all you do is use the ORIGINAL edit (the one without the speed reduction to 80%) and copy that, one frame at a time, to 16mm film. Take the 3:2 version (the one at 80%) and burn a CD of your finished soundtrack and send the negative and the soundtrack off to the lab. They can make a mag of the CD and marry it to the print they make for you. Everything will match right up.

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supa-eight:

    A little off subject, but I was looking at the CP 16 camera on the net and saw that it recorded sound directly onto 16mm film. Do they still make sound 16mm film? How did this work in the first place? That would be cool to shoot sync on 16mm directly into the camera. Just curious.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    The CP16s worked just like super 8 sound cameras. Very handy and pretty decent sound; certainly good enough for voice. They used mag striped 16mm reversal, just like super 8 used to (sniff, sniff...) Anyway, no mo' mag film fo' da CP's I'm afraid. Here's a real kicker, the forerunner of the CP was an Auricon and it recorded both magnetic AND optical sound. You could shoot film with that beast and put in a standard 16mm sound projector right back from the lab. Cool.

    Roger


    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

    [This message has been edited by MovieStuff (edited December 20, 2001).]

  5. #5
    MrObvious
    Guest MrObvious's Avatar

    Post


    Can you still use an Auricon to record optical sound? Like with S16 single-perf film?

    Marc S.

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •